In September 2016, we rolled out tutoring classes to public schools in Osun
The short-term focus was to achieve a tangible improvement in the next national examinations. We worked with teachers, volunteers and public servants who provided their services free-of-charge.
What we’ve been doing
- Intensive training started early November 2016 for teachers by tertiary institutions in the state and participants were awarded certificates. The training harmonised teaching methods, enabled familiarisation with the coaching manuals, scheduling, attendance and more. Missed this? You can still volunteer in your community.
- Coaches classes were held on Fridays 3 – 6pm, Saturdays 10am – 6pm and Sundays 3 – 6pm (free lunch provided on Saturdays).
- Mock exams were organised in January 2017.
- Intensive coaching ran until the April/May 2017 WAEC examinations.
- Coaching classes have resumed for the 2017/18 session.
- Tablets were distributed to volunteer teachers from the 2016 pilot scheme in December 2017, as was promised to them.
The good news is most of the students passed excellently in the WASCE, NECO and JAMB examinations!