We know that one educated mind is an enlightened community…
So we celebrate every milestone towards improving the standards of education in Nigeria. Here are some success stories from our programme in Lagos State.
- We’ve affected over 1,000 students from 45 government senior secondary schools, in 6 different local government areas in Lagos. We are expanding to the State of Osun.
- In the first year of the 1992 pilot launch, VC recorded a 98% success rate for students transitioning into tertiary institutions.
- We’ve graduated over 637 students from the free English and Mathematics Coaching Programme since its inception in 2004.
- We’ve given yearly tertiary scholarship awards to 10 best overall students.
- 70% of graduates are gainfully employed through various skills learned at VolunteerCorps.
- 90% of the students on our programme have gone to be first graduates in their families.
- We have 7 tutoring centres in Lagos state:
- Amuwo Odofin
- Lagos Island and
- Obele (Randle Avenue, Surulere – where the pilot scheme took place in 1992).
- We opened 2 tutorial centres in Ofada and Owode-Egba, Ogun State in November 2012.
- 4 of our 9 tutorial centres are branded. The:
- Mainland centre by Healthcare International
- Surulere centre by Digital Communications Konsult;
- Obele centre by Chams Plc. and
- Ofada centre by Realty Point, under their Prime Estate subsidiary.
- We have organised several excursions for selected students on our education programme over the years.
- Organised 19 Bootcamps for the students since December 2008:
- 6 Habit Boot Camps
- 5 Purpose Boot Camps
- 1 Joint habit-Purpose Boot Camp
- 6 Opportunity Boot Camps and
- 1 General Boot Camp in 2012 for all our students.
Volunteer and Tutor Training
- We have recruited over 900 Volunteers for our programmes and other organisations.
- VolunteerCorps trained a total of 739 public secondary school teachers from various secondary schools in Lagos in Information & Communication Technology (ICT) between 2005 and 2009.
- We have conducted 2 Volunteer-Tutor Training Programmes each year since 2008 and one (1) for each of the preceding years since 2003.
- We have trained a total of 739 Public Secondary School teachers from various secondary schools in Lagos in Information & Communication Technology (ICT) between 2005 and 2009.
- We received a major grant from United Parcel Services (UPS) in 2010 and 2012 respectively.
- Nigerian Bottling Company (NBC) in partnership with VC donated drinks for the 2013 Annual Education Stakeholders Forum.
- VolunteerCorps executed its Career Fair initiative in partnership with Standard Chartered Bank Plc in June 2014.
- Our 2010 Annual Volunteer Appreciation & Graduation Ceremony was sponsored by First Bank Plc.
- In May 2012, we were engaged by Esso Exploration & Production for the second year to help implement their “Introduce a Girl to Engineering and Geology Day”.
- We recently entered into a partnership with Ragolis Waters Limited in January 2014 for the supply of bottled water for all our events and projects.
Health & Environment Achievements
- VolunteerCorps Lagos has conducted over 61 monthly L.E.G.I.T. (Let’s Get It Tidier) exercises since August 2008 in collaboration with residents and companies on the streets where the exercises took place.
- In May 2012, we partnered with United Parcel Services (UPS) for the third time, to implement one of our projects – Corporate L.E.G.I.T. through their Employees Volunteer Cleaning Exercise (community work).
- VolunteerCorps launched its Employer Supported Volunteerism with CHAMS Plc in May 2014 and Standard Charted Bank in June 2014.